Estate planning is crucial to securing your assets and ensuring a smooth transfer of wealth to your loved ones after you’re gone. But what happens afterward? Depending on your situation, one of your loved ones or a credit provider may want to claim your assets. This is where the McAllen probate process occurs.
We want to share a few ways you can help protect your assets and loved ones’ future. Implement strategies such as:
- Living trusts
- Designating beneficiaries
- Gifting during your life
A living trust is a versatile document that allows you to transfer your assets into a trust during your lifetime. This helps you ensure that certain monies are not touched during probate. Unlike a will, a living trust:
- Avoids probate, saving time and expenses.
- It provides privacy as the trust’s terms and beneficiaries are not publicized.
- Working with an estate planning attorney in McAllen can be secured during your lifetime.
Having clear directions on where your assets go in a will can also help prevent others from claiming ownership in probate court. Review assets such as:
- Life insurance policies
- Retirement accounts
- Payable-on-death (POD) bank accounts
These assets transfer directly to your preferred loved ones upon your passing. Regularly reviewing and updating your beneficiary designations is crucial, especially after significant life events such as marriage, divorce, or childbirth.
Steps to Sharing Your Wealth
Gifting assets during your lifetime is a generous act and an effective estate planning strategy. It can help minimize the size of your taxable estate. Did you know:
- In Texas, you can give up to a certain amount each year without incurring gift taxes.
- By strategically gifting assets to your loved ones, you reduce the value of your estate, potentially lowering estate tax liabilities.
- There are limits to how much you can gift, and you can get advice from your accountant and our estate planning attorneys in McAllen.
Why Work with McAllen Probate Attorneys?
Take the first step today and secure your legacy. Remember that your hard-earned assets will be easily given to your loved ones when the time comes. Our McAllen probate attorneys help:
- Provide critical information on the costs of probate.
- Establish a living trust tailored to your specific needs.
- Answer your questions about gifting now versus later.
- Streamline the probate process as your representative.
- Save your time by simplifying your estate administration.
- Provide a FREE consultation on estate planning and more.
Proactive estate planning is essential for preserving your legacy and ensuring a smooth transition of your assets to your loved ones.
Working with our probate attorneys in McAllen will provide you with the guidance and expertise necessary to develop a complete estate plan.
By implementing living trusts, beneficiary designations, and gifting strategies, you can minimize the need for probate and its associated costs and delays.
Get a FREE McAllen Probate Consultation
At Barrera Sanchez and Associates, we understand the importance of providing our potential clients with the convenience and peace of mind they deserve. That’s why we are proud to offer FREE consultations. Contact us online to get the information you need.