How To Enforce A Standard Possession Order During the Holidays

If you are divorced, you know it is essential to have a clear schedule of your child’s custody. This is even more important during the holidays when you share your child’s time with your ex-spouse. However, some parents cannot agree on child custody. Our family law attorneys in McAllen can help you and would like to share how a standard processing order (SPO) can help you and your ex-spouse manage the holiday season.

What is an SPO?

A standard possession order is part of a custody order that determines the schedules between both parents. The SPO will evaluate:

  • Where the child will spend the holidays.
  • Where parents will exchange the child.
  • Which parents live far away (more than 100 miles)

A Typical Holiday Schedule

While there are several holidays during the end of the year, there are a few guidelines a standard possession order can follow. These may change if a parent requests so through a judge.


During Thanksgiving, possession is determined by odd and even years. The non-custodial parent has custody of the child during the odd-numbered years and the custodial parent with the even-numbered years.


The Christmas possession schedule also follows the odd-even numbered year rules and is divided into two parts:

  • Part one is when school is dismissed for Christmas vacation until noon on December 26.
  • Part two is from noon on December 26 until 6 p.m. on the day before school is back in session after Christmas vacation.
  • In even-numbered years, the non-custodial parent will have the child for part one of the Christmas schedule, while the custodial parent takes part two.
  • In odd-numbered years, the custodial parent will have the child for part one of the Christmas schedule, while the non-custodial parent takes part two.

Not Committing to an SPO

Exceptions and complications may occur if parents decide to deviate from an SPO, such as:

  • If one of the parents decides not to follow the SPO, the other parent may enforce it in court.
  • Both parents agree on a new schedule than stated within an SPO.
  • Parents not agreeing to a new plan, in which case parents must follow the SPO or one of the parents decides to file a motion to modify the schedule.

Contact Your Family Law Attorney in McAllen

If you find that you and your ex-spouse are having difficulties agreeing to your standard possession order, your family law attorneys at Barrera Sanchez & Associates can help! Call (956)287-7555 for a FREE Consultation today!

Leave a Reply

XHTML: You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>